This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

To new user jerryjhon
(27/08/2021, 7:23 am)CliveSemmens Wrote: Oi! I have a gmail address...

As do I, and probably pretty much anybody with an Android phone linked into Google...

(27/08/2021, 11:34 am)DavidPilling Wrote: I've always thought Google in the form of gmail had a better grip on spam than many.

Google doesn't seem to deliver much spam to GMail users, but it does seem to be easy to have it act as a gateway to pass on spam, and the relative ease of making new GMail accounts means it is often used as a contact address by people looking to spam elsewhere. As in the current example.

Quote:yet Mr Yahoo can decide to block the lot.

You might find that it's SpamHaus and not Yahoo.

(27/08/2021, 1:54 pm)GrahameParish Wrote: I run my own mail server, I have done for a few years. [...]  so I'm using a DDNS service set up in the router to keep everything in line.

I'm surprised it worked at all. I guess BT are lazy.
Dial-up/dynamic IP address ranges are supposed to be listed in the PBL (https://check.spamhaus.org/faqs/?id=PBL_what_is_it) to flag that it's an address that cannot MX mail.
If the machine tries to send mail, it will be accepted if sent with authentication (like SMTP AUTH etc) but any attempts to directly send or relay should be refused as a matter of policy.
This is supposed to be set up by the ISP, not SpamHaus, as the ISP are the ones who know which IP ranges are which.

My current IP (81.53.143.14) is listed this way for this exact reason. The alternative is that SpamHaus might block the entire ISP in order to force them to sort their crap out, as they famously did to Tiscali a fair few years ago (but, to be fair, Tiscali were asking for a clobber).

Quote:there's no telling what I will get next time or who had it before me or how they used it.

Yup. My mails, one day, were being rejected by a friend's server. He sent me the log files, I looked up the IP address and somebody had been a very naughty boy. I rebooted the Livebox, got a new IP, then it worked.

It may be that PBLs arose because of the problem of dynamic IP addresses. It's necessary to block an address that is spewing spam, but it's unfair to block that address for any length of time because other people will have been assigned it, and may find that their mails are failing.

There's no easy answer - not even kneecapping spammers with a sledgehammer (which, let's face it, would be an effective way to dissuade others from spamming).

Messages In This Thread
To new user jerryjhon - by heyrick - 24/08/2021, 10:41 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by DavidPilling - 25/08/2021, 12:35 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by heyrick - 26/08/2021, 1:17 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by CliveSemmens - 27/08/2021, 7:23 am
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by DavidPilling - 27/08/2021, 11:34 am
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by GrahameParish - 27/08/2021, 1:54 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by heyrick - 27/08/2021, 9:17 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by heyrick - 27/08/2021, 9:34 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by DavidPilling - 27/08/2021, 10:03 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by SKS1 - 28/08/2021, 3:14 pm
RE: To new user jerryjhon - by GrahameParish - 31/08/2021, 10:15 am