This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Message Markup
Lightbulb 
If you are posting using a browser that provides the fancy toolbar, the simplest way to use it is to type something and then select the text and then apply the style you want.
With links, I find that it's a great help to place a comma or space, then back up, and then insert the link. This stops subsequently entered content from being taken as part of the link. Bug in the editor, I think. ;-)

In all cases, you can use manually-inserted markup. It's similar to HTML, but not the same. The tags go in square brackets, as follows:

This:
Code:
Text in [i]italics[/i].
Text in [b]bold[/b].
Text [u]underlined[/u].
Text [s]struck through[/s].
You can [b][i]mix them up too[/i][/b]!

Looks like this:
Text in italics.
Text in bold.
Text underlined.
Text struck through.
You can mix them up too!

You can use 'em' and 'strong' instead of bold and italic; but it's more to type. :-)

You can create lists:
Code:
[list][*]First[/*][*]Second[/*][*]Third[/*][/list]

[list=1][*]First[/*][*]Second[/*][*]Third[/*][/list]
  • First
  • Second
  • Third
  1. First
  2. Second
  3. Third
You can insert links:

Code:
[url=https://heyrick.eu/blog/]Go visit my blog![/url]
Go visit my blog!

You can insert images:
Code:
[img]https://heyrick.eu/aldershot/images/icons/heart.png[/img]
[Image: heart.png]

If you are quoting somebody:
Code:
[quote]This is quoted.[/quote]
Looks like:
Quote:This is quoted.

You can also use 'code' to put things in a way that won't be parsed (as shown in the examples above). There's also 'size' for editing the text size (it's either 1-6, or a percentage), and 'color' (spelled the American way) for giving text colour.

For other ideas, Google for "BBCode markup".
Smilies are automatically inserted if you type certain sequences, such as semi-colon, right bracket. (it doesn't work for ;-) though) or colon huh colon (that's a colon, the word "huh", and another colon).

Wink Wink

Huh Huh

If you have a fancy browser, there's a selection box on the left with various smilies, and "get more" will pop up an explanation of the shortcuts that can be used for all of them.

Personally, I find this annoying (especially the auto-subs) because they are a completely different size to the text and mess up the flow, but I don't want to turn it off unless there's a concensus that "yeah, they gotta go". Let me know.
(07/06/2021, 9:06 pm)heyrick Wrote: With links, I find that it's a great help to place a comma or space, then back up, and then insert the link. This stops subsequently entered content from being taken as part of the link. Bug in the editor, I think. ;-)
Given that I find it necessary to do the same thing in gmail on Firefox, it seems forgiveable.