Version 0.39 - 9th May 2001
QuickVoy offers the following facilities:
- Dialler, which behaves in a way similar to !Voyager's dialler.
- Six user-definable icons which can perform two functions AND watch a file.
The default is laid out like the standard Voyager toolbar, with WebLoad added.
Adjust-Browse loads FrescoJS and Adjust-News loads NewsAgent without debatch. Email and
News darken if unread email/news exists. These actions can be modified, or applied to
- Quickly open incoming/outgoing mail/news.
- Call timer and basic call coster, which beeps at £ boundaries.
Also tells you which charge band is being used.
- Run other VIX(EN) from a pop-up menu.
- Phone bill creator.
- Interfaces with Christina West's CountDown (recommended!).
- Web cache lister (this uses additional memory,
claimed and released as needed).
The cache scanning code is now a third faster, the core scanner having been recoded in
Will also resume sessions dropped by other diallers (refer to !Help
for more information).
- Highly configurable - script-based configuration system with
- Timed event and disconnection event.
- QuickVoy_Message (&51C44) - see the documentation
- Now tells you information on your user settings
(this functionality replaces my !VoyInfo software).
- An interesting (?) animated 'splash' window.
- Mailbox watcher.
- Hotlist tidyer.
- Now uses dynamic areas, if available.
- JPEG viewer. Simply drag a JPEG to QuickVoy to see it. Rendered
in colour in 256 colour modes, or in monochrome in other modes.
As it uses the JPEG facilities in SpriteExtend, it is fast and good. Refer to the
!Help file for a comparison against !FYEO2 and
Can now cope with progressive JPEGs if you have the jpegtrans utility available.
Can now save what you see on-screen...
Can now use !ChangeFSI to view all sorts of images!
- QuickMail - a small and simple email client, for those times
when you don't want to load Posty (or Pluto/Messenger).
- Basic web fetcher, so you can fetch stuff from the web without
going to the trouble of loading a browser.
- Point'n'click setup utility.
- And one more thing...
- ONLY REQUIRES 128K OF MEMORY!
Unsure? Then read the !Help file (84K).
As far as documentation goes, it is verbosely detailed and very descriptive.
(hasn't changed much since this version)
For techies, here is the Versions file (42K).
QuickVoy is now supplemented by a smaller version which has had many of the
extended features removed, so that the coreapplication fits into only 32K of
The script-based events, user-definable icons, Wimp messages, CountDown support, and some other
bits are retained.
A smaller version just isn't possible!
New in this version...
- Repaired error with QuickMail when using Emily's paths.
- URL scheme handler fixed. QuickVoy no longer crashes and burns if you give it an unusual
URL, like "telnet://".
- The alternative (file-linked) mailto message handler has been improved.
It seems Fresco /can/ use this one without actually including a linked file. Odd...
- New configuration keyword in the General section. The keyword is "nologerror",
and if present the warning about your log file being over 128K will be suppressed. Note,
this takes no parameters. Either it exists or it doesn't.
Software name : QuickVoy
Latest version : 0.39 (and 0.16b)
Archive size : 246287 bytes
Classification : late Beta
Registration cost : -
RISC OS 2 compatible : No
RISC OS 3 compatible : Yes
WIMP 3.98 compatible : Yes
RISC OS 4 compatible : Expected to be
Written in : BASIC/assembler
Utilities in BASIC, assembler, or C
(in various combinations!)
Libraries : n/a
QuickVoy v0.39 release.|
A partial upgrade is not available.
A totally unsupported extension to QuickVoy that you might find useful. Please note, this
is pretty much a techies-only upgrade. If you don't know what a primary DNS address is, or
why you need such a thing, this isn't for you...
Link to JTrans site
If you wish to use the progressive JPEG handling, you will need a smallish utility called
"jpegtran" installed into your library directory.|
Follow this link and download !JPEGTrans.
Then, take the jpegtran conversion program (in the !JPEGTrans.Jpeg directory)
and copy it into your library directory (probably !Boot.Library).
This software requires RISC OS running on the ARM chipset
If your computer is different, don't bother downloading this software!
Return to index
Copyright © 2001 Richard Murray