mailto: blog -at- heyrick -dot- eu
Having only barely had the phone line fixed, I got up Monday morning and read The Register and the ROOL forum. Then I got ready to go to work. Upon mom's return, she noted that the Livebox was saying there was no ADSL signal being received.
We both came to the same conclusion, that the numpties who were digging up the road to lay water pipes had hacked through the phone cabling. I mean, just look at the quality of this...work:
Clearly, the contract was awarded to the lowest tender.
So on the way back from work I stopped and took a look. Yup.
Let's be honest. My heart fell through the floor. This mess was going to take an eternity to repair.
I reported it to Orange, which was a Kafkaesque conversation. I'm still not entirely sure they weren't looking at my previous fault report (which is still pending, it seems?!?).
I then reported it to
1013.fr, and flagged it as a "grave danger". I reported it this because:
In short, leave that there, some prat with too much speed and not enough attention is gonna crash into the hole.
- It was a deep hole right by the side of the road.
- Outside of the commune limit, so no street lighting and a greater speed limit.
- Though living (and sometimes cycling) here, I know that far too many treat speed limits as optional on country roads.
- There's a bend with heavily reduced visibility to anything smaller/lower than a tractor.
- The "barrier" is some old rusty junk held together by bits of plastic twine.
- There are no reflective patches in functional order, and no blinky yellow lanterns.
Wednesday lunchtime, it was fixed. Because, as my friend Rob later said to me we've all seen news footage of what happens when you upset French farmers...and cutting off a bunch of farms was going to make 'em angry!
But, damn. That was unbelievably fast.
We have some of those spinny wind-thingies in plant pots. A little yellow butterfly was absolutely taken with the green one.
It's Hanami, or time to view the flowers. We don't have ornamental pink cherry, ours are mostly white-flowered bird cherries.
My Samsung S7 can do some really outstanding slow motion videos. Stepping the resolution back to 720P gives the camera the ability to record at 240fps (!) for some crystal clear non-jittery slow motion recordings. This one of our waterfall is like a drone traversing a lake and circling around the waterfall itself. Watch it, the reflections and clarity are sublime.
Pay attention and see if you can spot the photobomb.
Did you see it?
It's near the end.
It's a Coypu.
It looked at me, I looked at it.
Then it realised that I was of the species that has a predilection for blowing their brains out with pieces of metal, usually travelling at high velocity.
Having run about as far as his Aaargh! Panic! Aaaargh! would take him (about three metres), he slowed down and ambled along up the stream.
I could hear his thoughts: Me? Frightened? Nah, there's absolutely nothing to worry about here. I'm not bothered. Nothing's wrong...
Please note that while I check this page every so often, I am not able to control what users write; therefore I disclaim all liability for unpleasant and/or infringing and/or defamatory material. Undesired content will be removed as soon as it is noticed. By leaving a comment, you agree not to post material that is illegal or in bad taste, and you should be aware that the time and your IP address are both recorded, should it be necessary to find out who you are. Oh, and don't bother trying to inline HTML. I'm not that stupid! ☺ ADDING COMMENTS DOES NOT WORK IF READING TRANSLATED VERSIONS.
You can now follow comment additions with the comment RSS feed. This is distinct from the b.log RSS feed, so you can subscribe to one or both as you wish.
(Felicity? Marte? Find out!)
- Gardening, C1 battery problem, Speakers, Mick... (2021/05/09)
- Caoimhe trolling me? YOU TWAT! Leclerc, what the hell? Soon, soon. Mowing. Potatoes. (2021/05/07)
- Freaky electrics, That parcel, Seeds, Why I won't use plastic sheeting, Lunch? (2021/05/02)
- Potato experiment, Full Super Moon, ESP32-CAM silliness, Writing and CD ripping. (2021/04/27)
- I got up late (cat food), Battery soldering iron teardown, Stupid Amazon prices. (2021/04/25)
List all b.log entries
Return to the site index
PS: Don't try to be clever.
It's a simple substring match.
Last read at 04:01 on 2021/05/14.
© 2017 Rick Murray
This web page is licenced for your personal, private, non-commercial use only. No automated processing by advertising systems is permitted.
RIPA notice: No consent is given for interception of page transmission.