mailto: blog -at- heyrick -dot- eu
A daft little triviality
So I recorded the first stage of The Tour (as in "...de France") because it is our part of France. Well, not exactly, day three (tomorrow) goes through places we know, but it isn't some random place down south in the mountains.
Anyway, I recorded it into the computer and set about pulling out the 'good bits' (i.e. not endless close-ups of wheels and gears) to assemble together into what the Frenchies might call the "Best Of". All hail VirtualDub that not only made the extraction process fairly simple, but it also auto-detected all the bits by using logic on the filename of the first part (they were numbered 01.avi, 02.avi, etc). It made it all pretty easy really. I might consider using this method to cut the adverts out of Ghost Whisperer.
Once I'd done that, I needed to delete the source file. Over four hours, MPEG1-ish, it ran to some 12Gb. So I pressed the
Del key, confirmed I wanted to get rid of the file, and was met with:
I think we can raise two faults here:
- An AVI file is not a folder. Why is it talking about deleting folders?
- How come you can specify how much disc space the Recycle Bin will take, up to a maximum of 4Gb? When you're playing with video recordings, it would be nice for a recycle bin in the order of 6-8Gb, so if you delete two episodes of Doctor Who and then realise that you screwed up the XviD settings, you don't have the problem of finding the episodes were 2.1Gb and the second one supplanted the first...
Today's word is nowadays. It is fairly obvious what it means: it seems like everybody and their auntie is toting a knife nowadays.
I point this out because it is nowadays, not the oft seen "nowdays".
Please note that while I check this page every so often, I am not able to control what users write; therefore I disclaim all liability for unpleasant and/or infringing and/or defamatory material. Undesired content will be removed as soon as it is noticed. By leaving a comment, you agree not to post material that is illegal or in bad taste, and you should be aware that the time and your IP address are both recorded, should it be necessary to find out who you are. Oh, and don't bother trying to inline HTML. I'm not that stupid! ☺ ADDING COMMENTS DOES NOT WORK IF READING TRANSLATED VERSIONS.
You can now follow comment additions with the comment RSS feed. This is distinct from the b.log RSS feed, so you can subscribe to one or both as you wish.
(Felicity? Marte? Find out!)
- Super-speed car oil change, Not enough WTF in the world, No rest for the wicked. (2021/10/14)
- A new British Passport, Working Saturday, Oops? You didn't mean to land there, did you? Feeling good and an unexpected trip into Big Town, My new strimmer, A note of sadness, Legitimate salvage. (2021/10/10)
- Superheroes, Halogen cooker and chips. (2021/10/02)
- The Brexit Benefits just keep on coming. (2021/09/28)
- Two years ago today, Sorry for the silence, Strimmer motor. (2021/09/27)
List all b.log entries
Return to the site index
PS: Don't try to be clever.
It's a simple substring match.
Last read at 00:31 on 2021/10/18.
© 2008 Rick Murray
This web page is licenced for your personal, private, non-commercial use only. No automated processing by advertising systems is permitted.
RIPA notice: No consent is given for interception of page transmission.